Feature Layers vs Tile Layers
- Feature layers support vector feature querying, visualization, and editing. Feature layers are most appropriate for visualizing data on top of your basemaps. In web apps, feature layers are drawn by the browser and support interactive highlighting, queries, and pop-ups. Tile layers support fast map visualization using a collection of predrawn map images, or tiles. Tile layers are appropriate for basemaps that give your maps geographic context.
Resources - Esri
- [Esri UK] Getting started with ArcGIS Online
- [Esri UK] A Guide to working with Index of Multiple Deprivation data in ArcGIS Online
- [Esri UK] A Guide to Filtering Data in ArcGIS Online
- [Esri Canada] Lesson Planner
- [Esri] GeoInquiries for Human Geography
- [Esri] GeoInquiries for Earth Science
- [Esri] Add tweets to your web map
Resources - Richard Allaway
- GIS in Education Twitter List [Contact me if you would like to suggest additions]
- [International School of Geneva - Campus des Nations] ecolint.maps.arcgis.com
- [geographyalltheway.com] gatwarcgis.maps.arcgis.com
- An Introduction to ArcGIS Online
- Weather, Climate and Biomes | Web Map
- Tourism/Transport/Globalization - Southampton to Cape Town in 1937 - Using ArcGIS Online
Global - Useful Layers
- [Various] ESRI Living Atlas of the World - Feature layers
- [Population] World Bank - Age and Population - Feature layer
- [Climate] Ecoregions - Feature layer
- [Weather] NOAA_METAR_current_wind_speed_direction - Stations - Feature layer
- [Freshwater] USA Live Stream Gauges - Web map
Global - Useful Data
- [Population and Development] Data in Gapminder World - Data
- [Population and Health] Global Health Observatory data repository - Data
- [Plate Tectonics] USGS - Earthquake Hazard Program - Feeds & Notifications - Data
- [Plate Tectonics] NOAA Volcano Data and Information - Data
- [Resources] BP Statistical Review 2015 downloads - Data
- geonames.org - the names of countries used in the ArcGIS Online geocoding service.
Europe - Useful Layers
- [Weather] Observation Précipitations - Map Image Layer
Switzerland - Useful Data
Switzerland - Useful Layers
- [Administrative limits] Communes_2013 - Feature layer
Swisstopo data sets are available as online services. They are published in Swiss projection so you cannot add them to a standard web Mercator online basemap. Instead, you need to add an image service from Swisstopo as a basemap and then add on top other layers you may be interested in:
Open the Map Viewer > Add Layer from Web > A WMTS OGC Service > Enter the URL https://wmts.geo.admin.ch > Choose a basemap layer like “National Map 1:25’000” and enable the checkbox “Use as Basemap”.
Repeat the same process to add operational layers to your map, but don’t check “Use as Basemap”.
To find the legends for the various layers explore map.geo.admin.ch.
- All the layers available on map.geo.admin.ch can be added > Add Layer from Web > A WMS OGC Web Service > Enter the URL https://wms.geo.admin.ch [the list is in German].
- [Extreme Environments] Swiss Avalanches 2012-2014 - Web map
Switzerland - Geneva - Useful Layers
- STIG - Services cartographiques de consultation
- Geneva GIS Data Catalogue - This catalogue lists all layers available for download. All layers are described in French.
Switzerland - Valais - Useful Layers
- Add > Search for Layers > In: ArcGIS Online > Find: valais
Switzerland - Vaud - Useful Layers
- Add layer from Web > WMS OGC > enter the following URL: http://wms.vd.ch/public/services/VD_WMS/Mapserver/Wmsserver?
United Kingdom - Useful Data
- [Urban Environments] data.police.uk - open data about crime and policing in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- [Weather] Download Met Office data
United Kingdom - Useful Layers
- [Administrative limits] Output Areas - Feature layer
- OAs [181,408] are the lowest geographical level at which census estimates are released. They are used as statistical building blocks from which all estimates for higher geographies are built
- [Administrative limits] Lower Layer Super Output Areas - Feature layer
- LSOA [34,753] have a minimum of 1,000 residential population (an average of 1,600) and 400 households (an average of 650).
- [EsriUKedteam] Content on ArcGIS Online e.g. Ethnic Group - Pakistani - Tile layer
France - Useful Layers
- [Administrative limits] Limites communales du GeoFLA - Feature layer